Dr Fiona Kenyon
Moredun Research Institute
Pentlands Science Park
Midlothian EH26 0PZ
Fiona Kenyon graduated with an Honours degree in Zoology from Edinburgh University, then gained a PhD studying sheep scab mites at Moredun.
Fiona then completed a Post-doctoral position at Edinburgh University studying drug resistance in malaria before returning to Moredun to work on the management of anthelmintic resistance in sheep. Fiona is currently interested in how different anthelmintic treatment strategies affect the development of anthelmintic resistance, and has been working on developing targeted treatment (optimised whole-flock treatments) and targeted selected treatment (treating only those individuals within a flock that will gain a benefit) strategies in sheep.
Selected Key Publications
- Melville, L., Kenyon F., Javed S., McElarney I., Demeler J., & Skuce P. 2014. Development of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) assay for the sensitive detection of Haemonchus contortus eggs in ovine faecal samples. Veterinary Parasitology. 206(3-4):308-312.
- Charlier, J., Morgan E. R., Rinaldi L., van Dijk J., Demeler J., Hoglund J., et al. 2014. Practices to optimise gastrointestinal nematode control on sheep, goat and cattle farms in Europe using targeted (selective) treatments. Veterinary Record. 175(10):250 - 255.
- Charlier, J., van der Voort M., Kenyon F., Skuce P., & Vercruysse J. 2014. Chasing helminths and their economic impact on farmed ruminants. Trends in Parasitology. 30(7):361 - 367.
- Busin, V., Kenyon F., Parkin T., McBean D., Laing N., Sargison N. D., et al. 2014. Production impact of a targeted selective treatment system based on liveweight gain in a commercial flock. The Veterinary Journal. 200(2):248-252.
- Kenyon, F., McBean D., Greer A. W., Burgess C. G. S., Morrison A. A., Bartley D. J., et al. 2013. A comparative study of the effects of four treatment regimes on ivermectin efficacy, body weight and pasture contamination in lambs naturally infected with gastrointestinal nematodes in Scotland. International Journal for Parasitology: Drugs and Drug Resistance. 3():77-84.
- Burgess, S. T. G., Innocent G., Nunn F., Frew D., Kenyon F., Nisbet A. J., et al. 2012. The use of a Psoroptes ovis serodiagnostic test for the analysis of a natural outbreak of sheep scab. Parasites & Vectors. 5(1):7.
- Kenyon, F., & Jackson F. 2011. Targeted flock/herd and individual ruminant treatment approaches. Veterinary Parasitology. 186(1-2):10-17.
- Demeler, J., Küttler U., El-Abdellati A., Stafford K., Rydzik A., Varady M., et al. 2010. Standardization of the larval migration inhibition test for the detection of resistance to ivermectin in gastro intestinal nematodes of ruminants. Veterinary Parasitology. 174(1-2):58 - 64.
Not a Member?
Moredun membership allows you to keep up to date with the latest advances in livestock health. You can join or renew your Moredun membership online.